Finding out the basic tools for your makeup kit is essential especially when you are just starting out. You don’t want shredding a lot of money for something you are not sure of.
When I was just starting wearing makeup, I too was sceptic. But with the help of my friends (specifically, my dormmates), I learned the trade. I am no professional though, however, for a fair share of the knowledge I learned through my experience, here are the key pieces in creating your own basic makeup kit.
THE MAKEUP ESSENTIALS
These essential items in your makeup kit are must-haves in your basic makeup bag. You should carry them around in a small pouch for touch-ups. I’ve also included some good makeup brands you could try for a start.
- Foundation – When you say basic, the foundation speaks for itself. Pick a shade which matches your skin tone. If you are not sure what to choose, you could just ask the product lady to assist you. When putting foundation, you could opt for applying it on uneven areas for lighter coverage. You could also use BB Creams. I actually used them for my everyday routine when I was just starting. | Advance Two-Way Cake, Advance BB Cream
- Lip Gloss – Lip gloss moisturizes your lips making them soft and fuller. You could have peach for a color to flatter any skin tones. | Wet n’ Wild Natural Blend
- Lipstick – I am sure we have different preference when picking a colour for this one, but if you are not sure of where to start, choose a color which matches the inside of your lip for a natural look. | Nichido Matte Lipstick
- Eyeliner – A bit of liner can do huge different in your eyes. I prefer liquid eyeliner over pencil eyeliner because with the former, you could do definite and precise strokes and it just looks better. Meanwhile, the latter smudge a lot, however, this one is less expensive. | Wet n’ Wild Megaliner Liquid Eyeliner
- Powder – A few sprinkles of this and that could help set up your makeup and control the shine on your face.
The following makeup items are which I think are optional in your basic makeup kit. However, if you have an extra budget, I suggest you should include them in your makeup kit.
- Concealer – Hide those hideous blemish and under-eye circles using this. | Ever Bilena Concealer Stick
- Mascara – I don’t usually wear mascara on a daily basis, but enhancing your lashes is perfect to define your eyes better and make them pop. | Maybelline New York Volum’ Express The Colossal Cat Eyes Mascara
- Blush – Give colour to your cheeks. For a subtle look, a pick warm tone. | Nyx Powder Blush
- Eye Shadow – A neutral shade is definitely the best pick for beginners. | Nyx Eyeshadow
- Brush – Having quality brushes is still better than having the stock brushes encased inside the makeup you bought. However, you don’t have to hustle yourself in buying one unless you are unsatisfied with the stock ones. I’d still recommend though having a fluffy powder brush just to set up the powder once you have finished your makeup. I actually use one everytime I use powder.
The list above is based through my opinion. Through time, you will learn what makeup item fits your lifestyle and your need. Just experiment and experiment, and continue your passion in what you are doing. Have fun doing makeup.
Photo by trostle